If you suffer from significant tooth loss, you may be a candidate for dentures. Contrary to popular belief, needing dentures depends on the condition of one's teeth, not their age. Tooth loss occurs for myriad reasons such as trauma, poor oral hygiene, and a medical condition.
Whatever the cause of your tooth loss may be, Dr. Tibbs can help you restore your smile with the compassionate, high-quality care you deserve.
Types of Dentures
There are different types of dentures from which you can choose: complete, fixed partial, removable partial, and implant-retained. Each type of denture offers various benefits, depending on your needs and oral health goals. However, it's important to note that all dentures require sufficient support from your jaw bone and healthy, natural gum tissue to hold the dentures in place.
- Complete dentures – Complete dentures, also called full dentures, replace your entire set of teeth. These dentures can be removed and are customized to restore the shape and appearance of natural teeth.
- Fixed partial dentures – Fixed partial dentures (implant-supported bridges) use dental implants to support the dentures. If consecutive teeth are missing, fixed partial dentures use dental implants as a permanent solution for completing your smile.
- Removable partial dentures – Attached to a gum-colored base and secured by a metal framework, removable partial dentures only replace a few missing teeth. These dentures can be easily removed and replaced if needed.
- Implant-retained dentures – Unlike permanent fixed partial dentures, implant-retained dentures attach to metal posts (abutments) to remain secure to replace some or all of your teeth. These dentures reinforce stability and improve your ability to chew.
Benefits of Dentures
Dentures have numerous benefits for patients in all stages of life. Designed to your exact specifications, they provide you with the structure, appearance, and function of natural teeth.
Here are three main benefits of having dentures:
- Dentures fill in your smile, preserving your facial structure.
- With a complete smile, your ability to chew and speak clearly will drastically improve.
- Dentures enhance your appearance, which can give you a major confidence boost.
Dentures are an excellent affordable solution for substituting the gaps left behind from tooth loss. Each type of dentures offers a set of unique benefits, and Dr. Tibbs is excited to discuss those benefits in detail with you at your next dental visit. Depending on your needs, Dr. Tibbs can determine if you're a good candidate for dentures and what dental treatment is best for you.
How Do I Get Started?
If you are ready to restore your smile and improve your oral health with dentures, Dr. Tibbs and our team at Jeffrey J Tibbs DDS PA can help. We can create a personalized treatment plan that best fits your needs to attain a new and improved smile. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Tibbs, please call our Winston-Salem dental office at (336) 765-7477.